Not a Mindful Chef customer?
Try healthy and delicious recipe boxes.
Crafted by us. Cooked by you.
- 16 new healthy recipes each week
- 100% dairy and gluten-free
- The UK's highest rated recipe box
Our grass-fed flat iron steaks, dressed up for a fiesta! We sear them ‘til caramelised, and serve over a bed of brown rice, brightened by red onion and spinach. On the side? Cooling avocado salsa.
895 calories • 88g carbs • 40g fat • 47g protein
1. Dice the red onion and roughly chop the coriander leaves.
2. Heat a medium-sized frying pan with 1 tsp oil on a medium heat, add half of the red onion and cook for 5 mins, until softening and slightly coloured. Add the rice, spinach, half of the coriander, 1-2 tbsp cold water and cook for 3 mins, then leave in the pan to keep warm. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
3. Rub the steaks with the Mexican spice mix and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Heat a second frying pan with 1 tsp oil on a medium-high heat. Cook the steaks until golden brown, 2-3 mins on each side for medium- rare or 4-5 mins on each side for well-done. Cover and rest until serving.
4. Meanwhile, make the avocado salsa; cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters. Peel and destone the avocado, then cut into small cubes. In a small bowl mix the tomatoes, avocado, remaining red onion (to taste) and the remaining coriander. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Squeeze over the juice from the half lime.
5. Thinly slice the steaks. Spoon the rice onto two warm plates, top with the sliced steak and serve the avocado salsa alongside.
Recipe for two people, halve the ingredients for one person