Not a Mindful Chef customer?
Try healthy and delicious recipe boxes.
Crafted by us. Cooked by you.
- 16 new healthy recipes each week
- 100% dairy and gluten-free
- The UK's highest rated recipe box
Our fajita bowl uses beans instead of meat for a lighter take on this Tex-Mex classic. We add quinoa, avocado, pickled jalapeños and a coconut lime sauce to a base of fried red peppers and onions.
574 calories • 62g carbs • 28g fat • 19g protein
1. Boil a kettle. Rinse the quinoa and place in a saucepan with 300ml boiling water, simmer for 15 mins.
2. Meanwhile, finely slice the red onion and red pepper. Peel and de-stone the avocado and slice thinly. Roughly chop the jalapenos.
3. Heat a medium-sized pan with 1 tsp oil on a medium heat. Drain and rinse the kidney beans and add to the pan with the jalapenos and half of the Mexican spice mix. Cook for 5 mins then remove from the pan, set aside and keep warm.
4. In the same pan, heat 1 tsp oil on a medium heat and fry the onion for 3 mins, then add the red pepper and cook for 5 mins. Stir through the remaining Mexican spice mix.
5. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the creamed coconut with 20ml boiling water to form a sauce. Add a generous squeeze of lime juice and a pinch of sea salt.
6. When the quinoa has finished cooking, drain and mix with the kidney beans. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
7. To serve, spoon the quinoa and beans into two warm bowls, top with the red pepper and onion, then layer over the sliced avocado. Drizzle over the coconut lime sauce.
Our Mexican spice mix contains a blend of ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika and dried oregano in equal amounts.
Recipe for two people, halve the ingredients for one person