Not a Mindful Chef customer?
Try healthy and delicious recipe boxes.
Crafted by us. Cooked by you.
- 16 new healthy recipes each week
- 100% dairy and gluten-free
- The UK's highest rated recipe box
It’s not classic moussaka but you won’t mind once you taste it – our coconut-based béchamel is just as creamy, and our baked aubergine slices just as gooey. Lentils fill you up; spinach adds vitamins.
885 calories • 82g carbs • 44g fat • 40g protein
1. Preheat the oven to 220C / fan 200C / gas mark 7 and boil a kettle.
2. Finely chop the garlic. Finely dice the red onion and red pepper. Slice the aubergine into very thin 1/2cm thick rounds. Roughly chop the parsley leaves. Drain and rinse the lentils and finely dice the tomatoes.
3. Place the aubergine on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Place in the oven for 10 mins.
4. Heat a medium-sized pan with 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat and cook the garlic, onion and red pepper for 5 mins until softened. Then stir in the cinnamon, oregano, sundried tomato paste, diced tomatoes, tomato puree, lentils, spinach, half of the parsley and 100ml boiling water. Simmer for 5 mins.
5. In a bowl, mix together the coconut yoghurt, nutritional yeast and only a pinch of nutmeg (to taste). Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, and add a little water to thin the mix if needed.
6. Spoon the lentils into an ovenproof dish, top with a layer of aubergine, then top with a thin layer of the coconut béchamel. Place in the oven for 15 mins until turning golden.
7. Serve the lentil moussaka on two warm plates. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley.
Recipe for two people, halve the ingredients for one person